Alatise Year 3
Welcome to Alatise Class!
Class Teacher: Miss Pugsley
TAs: Mrs Rimmer, Mrs Selvey & Mrs Peden
- Maths and English homework will be sent out on Fridays to be returned on the following Tuesday. (This should not take longer than 30 minutes). The homework will usually relate to the work covered in class. Please complete in pencil.
- Spellings will be sent home on Fridays to be tested the following Friday.
- We are introducing Times Tables Rock Stars (an online system for practicing times tables, either online or in app) which aims to improve speed and accuracy. Children should be playing TTRS for at least 3 minutes everyday to improve their times tables knowledge. Times tables will still be tested weekly, on Fridays - children will have a specific times table to practice at home set by the teacher.
- PE is on Tuesday and Friday afternoons. PE kit should be named and left in school. Plimsoles for indoor PE and trainers for outdoor PE.
- In order to make good progress, children should read for at least 20 minutes per day. Once children finish a book, a test is available on Accelerated Reader which should be completed before choosing a new book. Reading books should be brought into school every day and taken home at the end of the day.
- Please bring Reading Records in on Mondays for checking. Your child may write a comment after reading and parents should sign the books at least once a week.
- Children to bring book bags in every day.
Topics we are covering this year:
Autumn 1: Urban Pioneers
Autumn 2: Gods and Mortals
Spring 1: 1066
Spring 2: Misty Mountains
Summer 1: Mighty Metals
Summer 2: Road Trip USA
Meet the Teacher Powerpoint and Maths Mastery Vocab List
Alatise are Graffiti Stars!
LKS2 enjoyed getting stuck into the graffiti workshop on Wednesday 2nd October! The children learnt spray painting techniques and were able to personalise their own to board to make it unique. They created their own stencils as well as using a variety that were already provided. They also had the option to add a 'tag' in graffiti style writing - many opted for their name! The finished designs look fantastic and are displayed in the corridors.
Gods and Mortals
For our Gods and Mortals topic, we have been exploring the world of Ancient Greece. So far, the children have thoroughly enjoyed learning about this time period. We began by comparing ancient and modern Greece, identifying the city states and key geographical features. Using this knowledge, we further researched the most important kingdoms of the Ancient Greek empire, such as Athens and Sparta. The children produced a wonderful and detailed fact file on these kingdoms. Using their research from homework, we created a character description of a Greek god or goddess, including plenty of descriptive features. This is a piece of work they were really proud of! At the moment, we are writing an invitation to the Ancient Olympic games. The children have tried hard to include persuasive language to make their writing more interesting. These will be displayed in our classrooms. In art, we spent time designing and sketching an amphora (Greek vase), which shows a part of Greek life. We will be using our designs to create a clay model of these vases.
Cool to Be Kind Week! (11th - 15th November)
This week we have been focusing on Kindness. Year 3 thought of different ways to be kind and we decided to write thank you cards to show our appreciation for parents, teachers, friends etc in our lives.
One of the cards included the quote:
'I am giving you this card to throw kindness all around!'
'We should be kind every day not just for this week!'