Mitchell Year 1-2
Welcome to Mitchell Class!
Teacher: Miss Brook
TAs: Mrs Davies
Here is some key information:
- Children need to bring in book bags everyday please.
- Reading books will be changed on a Tuesday and a Thursday. The children will be given a phonics book linked to the sounds from the previous or the current week, or choosing their own book from the Accelerated Reader library.
- Website for AR Quizzes: https://ukhosted57.renlearn.co.uk/6708488/default.aspx
- Children need to be reading for at least 20 minutes each day.
- PE is on a Wednesday. Children need to come to school dressed in PE kits.
- Homework (English, Maths, Spellings, Number bonds (Yr 1) /Times Tables (Yr 2)) will go out on a Wednesday and is due back on the following Monday. Homework will be uploaded onto Google Classroom and should be completed in the homework books.
- Spelling and times tables test will be on Monday.
- Times tables will be set via Times Tables Rock Stars (https://play.ttrockstars.com/)
- Year 1s you can practice your number bonds using hit the button (https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button)
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me
Key Words to Read and Spell
Accelerated Reader Information
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING READING
- Reading books will be changed every Tuesday and Thursday.
- There may be some occasions where children are given a book they have already have, this is no problem. In fact, it helps the children to build their fluency, comprehension and word recognition to read books over and over.
- Encourage the children to read the book more than once over the period you have the book.
- If you have not finished the book, please let me know. It is no problem, it just helps me keep track of the books being sent home.
- Children should be reading for 20 minutes every day.
- Ask your child questions about the story and unfamiliar words as they are reading to ensure they understand the book.
- We will regularly reassess the children's reading to ensure they are taking home stage-appropriate books.
- Please listen to your child read and sign the reading record. Let me know how they have got on with the book and any words they have found difficult.
- Please read TO your child regularly in addition to listening to them read. This will enhance their language, vocabulary, imagination and enjoyment of more challenging books than they would be able to read independently.
Children need to take a quiz on Accelerated Reader as soon as they finish the book. They can take the quizzes at home.
- Children will take AR test to assess their ZPD (Zone of Proximal Development) throughout the year to ensure they are being challenged at the right level with their reading. This will be written in their reading record and they will have coloured dots stuck on the front. This is to show which coloured books they can choose from.
Egg Box Dragon
We started our mystery book this week. All we have learned so far is that someone has made an Egg Box Dragon with black wings, a red pointy tail, shiny eyes and a green, blue and grey body.
We used these clues to design our own Egg Box Dragons and spent Thursday morning making them, which was very fun. We used our team work skills to make sure everyone was involved and agreed the designs. We had to include eyes, horns, wings, a tail and teeth.
After creating our own Egg Box Dragons, we wrote instructions so that someone else could follow them to make their own.