Kusama Year 2
Welcome to Kusama Class!
Teachers: Miss Laughland and Miss Sheridan
TAs: Mrs Svensen
Here is some key information:
- Children need to bring in book bags everyday please.
- Reading books will be changed on a Tuesday and a Thursday. The children will be able to choose a new reading book from the stage boxes or from the Accelerated Reader books in the book corner. Once they have finished their book they need to complete a quiz using their Accelerated Reader username and password (which will be given out presently). Please note that some books may not have a quiz.
- Website for AR Quizzes: https://ukhosted57.renlearn.co.uk/6708488/default.aspx
- Children need to be reading for at least 20 minutes each day.
- PE is on a Friday (for this half term). Children need to come to school dressed in PE kits.
- Homework (English, Maths, Spellings and Times Tables will go out on a Wednesday and is due back on the following Monday. Homework will be uploaded onto Google Classroom and should be completed in the homework books.
- Spelling and times tables test will be on Monday.
- Times tables will be set via Times Tables Rock Stars (https://play.ttrockstars.com/)
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me
Key Words to Read and Spell
Accelerated Reader Information
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING READING
- Reading books will be changed every Tuesday and Thursday.
- There may be some occasions where children are given a book they have already have, this is no problem. In fact, it helps the children to build their fluency, comprehension and word recognition to read books over and over.
- Encourage your children to discuss what the book is about and their likes and dislikes and ask your child questions about the story and discuss unfamiliar words as they are reading to ensure they understand the book.
- Children do not have to finish the book before the days we change books but please comment on their reading daily.
- Children should be reading for 20 minutes every day.
- We will regularly reassess the children's reading to ensure they are taking home stage-appropriate books.
- Please listen to your child read and sign the reading record. Let me know how they have got on with the book and any words they have found difficult.
-Please read TO your child regularly in addition to listening to them read. This will enhance their language, vocabulary, imagination and enjoyment of more challenging books than they would be able to read independently.
Children need to take a quiz on Accelerated Reader as soon as they finish the book. They can take the quizzes at home.
- Children will take AR test to assess their ZPD (Zone of Proximal Development) throughout the year to ensure they are being challenged at the right level with their reading. This will be written in their reading record and they will have coloured dots stuck on the front or the colour book written in. This is to show which coloured books they can choose from.